Recliner slipcovers. Who even thought of this idea? They deserve an award.
Note: This review is completely unbiased and not related to the company at all.
My in-laws recently offered their old couch to us. My husband just about fell off his feet because he was obsessed with their couch–but I was concerned.
The couch was brown leather. I had spent DAYS breaking my back painting our 16 ft ceilings grey, and our other couch was black. I know beige and tan colors are coming back in, but I HATE brown furniture.
How could we make this work?
I know people paint their couches, and I’m pretty brave, but not that brave.
Plus, I’ve already taken a solemn vow never to reupholster another couch. I did it once so that you can read everything I wish I’d known about reupholstering a couch if you’re considering it!
Well, Amazon to the rescue!
I honestly Googled “recliner slipcover” on a whim. I was pretty sure there weren’t going to be any results–let alone any results that actually fit this couch. But there was!
These are just a few results when you search “recliner sofa slipcover” on Amazon:
There were a few choices, but I ended up buying the Easy-Going 8-piece Recliner Slipcover. It was meant for my size and style of couch and had over 3,000 good reviews.
But I was skeptical.
A couple of years ago, you would find me dead in a ditch before you’d find me paying $90 for a couch slipcover. However, the couch was free and my husband thought this was the best gift we’ve ever been given. I decided $90 to save my marriage could be worth the risk. 😉
Here’s the best picture I have of the couch before we added the slipcover:
Now let’s talk about some of the most common questions about this sofa recliner slipcover:
How hard was it to install the recliner slipcover?
It was not hard at all to install! I think it took 20-25 minutes to install from beginning to end, and that included having my 3 & 5 year olds “helping” the process.
The picture online makes it look like this is a real puzzle, but it’s actually not. The slipcover is designed really well, so it hooks on to specific pieces of your couch. I was really surprised at how well this fit my couch.
On Amazon, they also say that you can contact them to request buckles or discs to make the slipcover fit more securely. However, I never had to do that.
Did the recliner slipcover look tacky?
I am so excited to answer this with a resounding: NO.
My expectations of this were pretty low. But once the couch was completely covered, you would never know that it was a slipcover and not the original couch!
The ONLY place where it gave itself away was the middle cushion that I could never get to stay in place. More on that in the cons of the slipcover.
How easy is the slipcover to clean?
Since this is a slipcover and not an actual couch cushion, you can remove it at any time and wash it. That was a thrilling thought for me as the parent of two messy kids.
Otherwise, I would rate the cleaning ability of the slipcover as a 6 or 7/10.
The slipcover is like a ribbed cotton matterial, and it definitely hangs on to dust and dirt better than I would like. However, I also have two cats–one of which is mostly white. If you have no pets AND no kids, I’m sure this would not be a noticeable problem for you.
Even when there were areas covered in white fur, I used a lint roller and then wiped the slipcover with my Norwex cloths. That got everything off, even hardened things.
How long does the slipcover last?
I had this slipcover for a little under a year and we used it HEAVILY. I’m talking cats who spent most of the day on the couch, kids who quite literally jump on every inch of the couch….. I’d say we used this as heavily as you could use a couch.
I barely saw any wear on it during all of that time. Near the end it probably could have used a wash to refresh it, but there were no tears or rips.
Overall, I’m extremely impressed with the recliner slipcover’s durability.
Pros of the Easy Going Recliner Slipcover
A few of my favorite features of the recliner slipcover:
- Soft to the touch: This was covering leather, and I actually felt that the cotton was much softer and better.
- Totally disguises itself: As mentioned above, when all the cushions were covered, you couldn’t tell that it was a slipcover at all.
- Pocket on the side: Both arms have a wide pocket to put the remote or anything else into. We loved this pocket!
- Durable: This slipcover dealt with shedding cats, jumping kids, kids AND adults over-using the recliner, and barely showed any signs of wear. For that, it has my respect.
Cons of the Easy Going Recliner Slipcover
A few of the negatives of the slipcover:
- Collected dust and dirt: Again, this house has two cats AND two extremely messy young children (okay, AND two pretty messy adults). Take this with a grain of salt.
- Slipcover edges showed when the recliners were fully open
- Pockets weren’t easily reachable when you’re sitting on the couch: I think I might be too obsessed with pockets
- Slipcover wouldn’t stay on the middle cushion: This was the biggest problem we had with this slipcover. There was just one side of the middle cushion that didn’t have the correct hook, so it frequently came loose. However, I never contacted the company for extra discs or buckles.
Final Verdict on the Easy Going Recliner Slipcover
Overall, I was EXTREMELY impressed with this recliner slipcover.
If you have a couch that is comfortable but ugly, this is a fantastic solution to the problem.
Feel free to ask any questions or add any notes about your experience in the comments below!
Get your recliner slipcover on Amazon!
More of my favorite home decor posts: